Department of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics
The Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics was established in Darshan Dental College & Hospital in 2001 and deals with facial skeletal and dental deformities. It offers undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses.
The teaching program trains undergraduates in orthodontic diagnosis, case selection, removable appliance fabrication and management of simple dental malocclusion with removable appliances.
The first batch of Master of Dental Surgery (M.D.S) was initiated in the year 2006. Till date, 9 batches comprising of 29 post graduate students have successfully completed their Masters from this department.
Postgraduates are trained to impart comprehensive orthodontic treatment which includes growth modulation, fixed appliance treatment, surgical Orthodontics and management of TMJ disorders. The department has state-of-the-art technology, dedicated staff and infrastructure to render good services to patients.
- To lay foundation of basic knowledge and assimilate associated orthodontic skills to enable students to diagnose and treat various Orthodontic problems.
- To have a systematic understanding of the dynamic interaction of Biologic processes and Mechanical forces acting on the Stomatognathic system during Orthodontic treatment.
- A thorough understanding of the Etiology, Patho-physiology and subsequent accurate Diagnosis and Treatment planning of various Orthodontic problems.
- To have an understanding of the interactions of Social, Cultural, Economic, Genetic and Environmental factors and their relevance in the management of Orofacial Deformities.
- To give adequate priorities to Infection Control and safe disposal of hospital waste so as to prevent cross infections.
The primary mission and goal of Orthodontic Department is to improve oral health by preserving and enhancing the oral functions, appearance, self-esteem and overall health of the patient community. We starve to achieve these goals through contributions and advancements in education, service and research related to the field of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
- Best-in-class infrastructure and faculty profile
- Excellent clinical training and in-depth exposure to various orthodontic malocclusions.
- Strong Alumni Association.
The department has a separate post graduate clinic & an undergraduate clinic. There are separate cubical sections for the postgraduates to carry out the clinical work on the patients and to give them a feel of clinical experience.
- Recent Up-gradations are:
- Dental implant kit for anchorage
- Digital SLR camera with macrolense for intraoral as well as facial photography.
- Use of colour coded background
- Two computers with scanner & printer
- FACAD Software for digital cephalometry
- Department is equipped with an LCD & OHP projector for post graduate seminar.
- A high speed broadband connection
- Lab equipments like sand blaster, plaster dispenser, hydro solder, biostar etc.
- New orthodontic text books are regularly added to department library
The Core Competencies
- Fixed appliance orthodontics with Pre Adjusted Edgewise Appliance, Begg Appliance and Tip Edge Appliance
- Latest appliances such as Self-ligation, Lingual and Clear Aligner therapy
- Removable appliances
- Functional orthodontics with Myofunctional Appliances and Orthopedic Appliances
- Surgical orthodontics including Orthognathic Surgery, Surgically Assisted Rapid Palatal Expansion, Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics
- Cleft and craniofacial care
- In addition, adjunctive Orthodontic procedures are done in association with other departments like Oral Surgery, Restorative Dentistry, Periodontics and Prosthodontics in patients as required for best results.