Welcome to Department of Oral Medicine, Radiology and Diagnosis.
Department of Oral Medicine, Radiology and Diagnosis is headed by Dr. B.N Padmavathi, Prof. and Head of the Department.
Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, is a clinical branch of dentistry that deals with diagnosis of diseases affecting oral and its supporting structures. The specialty has two branches;
Oral medicine deals with clinical diagnosis of diseases involving mouth as well as the head and neck region. This may include developmental disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, metabolic disorders, and neurological disorders affecting the structure and function of oral cavity. It also includes management of oral diseases using non-operative procedures mostly drugs, often requiring a multidisciplinary approach. Oral medicine thus aims at :
- Learning and applying the skill for diagnosis and management of oro-facial diseases and disorders.
- Early detection of oral potentially malignant disorders and cancer, thus providing an opportunity for cure and longevity of life.
- Managing facial pain including neuralgias, atypical facial pain, atypical odontalgia, burning mouth syndrome, temporomandibular joint diseases
- Diagnosis and local management of infectious diseases, metabolic disorders, skin diseases and salivary gland diseases.
- Interdisciplinary care of patients and dental management of medically compromised patients.
- Counseling patients regarding lifestyle habits, tobacco and other addictive habits.
Oral Radiology involves the study of science of radiations, especially X-rays and application of different techniques of image acquisition necessary for diagnosis of oro-facial disorders.Training in Radiology of the maxillofacial region includes learning and applying the principles of image acquisition, interpretation of diagnostic images and radiation safety. Thorough training in radiographic techniques such as panoramic radiography, skull radiography, cephalometric diagnosis, occlusal radiography, intraoral radiography, and sialography are completed during the course. Basics of advanced imaging techniques like CT, MRI and Ultrasound are also emphasized. The scope also extends into the field of forensic sciences and radiation oncology.